Renting a Room Individually (Eikokuji Campus)

Corporate-contract apartments are for single occupancy, and it is not permissible to live in them with your spouse or family. If you wish to live somewhere other than in a corporate-contract apartment, for reasons such as living with your family, please consult with the Eikokuji Campus Student Affairs Division and find an apartment with the help of Japanese people such as your instructor or Japanese students.

Those who are affiliated with the Eikokuji campus will live in Kochi City. There are few realtors in Kochi who speak English, so it is advisable to seek the help of a Japanese speaking person in your search for an apartment.
You will need at least a month for the entire process, from finding an apartment to actually moving in.

You are also required to submit a Notification of Move-out from Corporate-Contact Apartment to KUT at least one month prior to leaving your corporate-contract apartment. Since it is difficult to submit a Notification of Move-out from Corporate-Contact Apartment before you find an apartment, it is recommended that you start looking for an apartment at least two months before your desired day of moving out.

KUT recommends that you bring your family from your home country only after you have gotten accustomed to life in Japan (in most cases after approximately six months).

Commercial website for finding apartments for foreigners

Procedure for moving from your corporate-contract apartment

  1. Find a place to live and make the rental arrangements.
  2. Submit a Notification of Move-out from Corporate-Contract Apartment to the Eikokuji Campus Student Affairs Division at least one month before the day you will leave.
  3. Inform the Eikokuji Campus Student Affairs Division of your new address as soon as it's decided.
  4. Take out Comprehensive Renter's Insurance* under the guidance of the Student Affairs Division. You should consult with the Division before you move since you must complete the insurance subscription procedure before you start living in the apartment.
    Note: If there is a particular type of insurance required by your realtor, please consult about it with Student Affairs Division before you subscribe to it. The staff member will determine whether two insurance policies are necessary.
  5. Complete the change of address procedure at Kochi city hall within two weeks of moving and bring your residence card, with your new address officially recorded on it, to the Student Affairs Division.
  6. Submit a change of address notice at a post office so that your mail will be forwarded to your new address. This service lasts only for one year, so please make sure to change your address for all communications about necessary matters, such as your credit card, within one year.
    The details regarding changing your address at a post office can be found at:

Approximate costs related to renting an apartment

Average monthly rent of an apartment in the central part of Kochi City

1LDK (one bedroom, one living/dining kitchen): 40,000~55,000 yen
2DK (two bedrooms, one dining kitchen): 60,000~70,000 yen
2LDK (two bedrooms, one living/dining kitchen): 60,000 and up


  • You need to pay deposits totaling three months rent, some non-refundable, in addition to your monthly rent and fire insurance (approximately 25,000 yen) at the time of signing your rental contract.
  • In general, rooms are not furnished, so you will need to purchase your own furniture and appliances.