KUT global human resources cultivation support system: John Manjiro Program
In this program, which consists of regular classes and study and activities outside of class, the students work to improve their command of English, their communication skills and their intercultural understanding.
Points are given for activities such as obtaining credits in designated regular classes, participating in international activities (see below), and meeting TOEIC standards. When students accumulate enough points to meet the program completion requirements, they receive a certificate of program completion as proof of their having obtained the knowledge and skills necessary for engaging in global society.
Students who have completed the John Manjiro Program, acquired advanced English skills and participated in overseas activities will be appointed KUT Youth Ambassadors. They will then be engaged in international exchange activities with overseas partner universities as representatives of KUT.
- Study as non-degree student for a semester or a year in partner universities. Exemption from tuition fees in the host university. Course credits acquired in partner universities will be certified after evaluation at KUT. Study as a research student is also encouraged.
- Accommodation arrangements are supported by the host university.
- Polytechnic University of Valencia (Spain), Sirindhorn International Institute of Technology, Thammasat University (Thailand), King Mongkut's University of Technology Thonburi (Thailand), Chulalongkorn University (Thailand), Yeungnam University (Korea), University of Missouri-St. Louis (USA), Bandung Institute of Technology (Indonesia), Western Sydney University (Australia), University of Hradec Kralove (Czech Republic) and more.
KUT study tour abroad
- Short-term study tours abroad are offered every year with the objective of fostering students' motivation to study, deepening their understanding of international affairs, and improving their ability to communicate in English. The university provides some financial support to participants.
- 2016 study tours:
(1) Study tour to Thailand and Singapore:
During this 11-day trip, 21 students visited partner universities, research institutions, and other places of interest.
(2) English Boot Camp in Korea:
A total of 17 students experienced an 8-day intensive interactive English program.
KUT international summer school (YOSAKOI Summer School)
- Every year invited students from overseas partner universities participate in various activities with KUT students. Approximately equal numbers of KUT Japanese students participate as buddies.
- Content: Activities include lecture/laboratory work, participation in the Yosakoi Dancing Festival and a bus study tour of Kochi prefecture.
Short program at foreign universities
KUT recommends that students join short international programs held at foreign universities, including summer programs hosted by partner universities. The university provides some financial support to participants.
- Since 2013, students have been sent to companies in Thailand, Vietnam, India, U.S., Australia, Singapore, New Zealand and the Philippines for 3-4 weeks.
KUT covers most of travel and accommodation expenses.
Research presentations at international conferences
KUT encourages students to attend international conferences and make presentations in English about their research. Furthermore, KUT offers funding to subsidize the costs of participating in such events.
English study support (outside of regular classes)
KUT provides an active learning space called "E-Square" for students. Students can use "E-Square" freely for self-study and international activities. In addition, English teachers and staff from the International Relations Center will sometimes help with activities at "E-Square".
ALC Net Academy 2
ALC Net Academy2 is a highly regarded Internet-based English learning system. Students can also access the system off-campus, so they can study for the TOEIC test at home too. Free of charge.
TOEIC Institutional Program（IP）
KUT provides TOEIC Institutional Program（IP）testing on campus about three times a year. Taking the IP test (3,000 yen) is cheaper than the TOEIC public test (5,725 yen). There is no limit to the number of times students can take the test.
TOEIC Preparation Course
This course, offered for a reasonable fee by TOEIC in cooperation with a major English conversation school, helps students improve their reading and listening ability. Students also learn study methods and techniques for increasing their TOEIC scores.
This course for beginners offers training in English conversation for a reasonable fee. Students practice with native speakers in a friendly atmosphere.
International studies in Management & Economics
With its objective of cultivation of expertise in economics and management along with international sense, the International Studies in Management and Economics major in the School of Economics & Management recommends that undergraduates study abroad for a half year to a year. A number of courses in this major are taught in English; these courses are also open to students in other majors or other schools of KUT and to students from foreign universities.