Renting a Room Individually (Kami Campus)

Most students at the Kami Campus live in International House (I-House) unless there are rooms available. However, I-House is a dormitory for singles and it is not permissible to live there with your spouse or family. If you wish to live somewhere other than in I-House (as in the case of living with your family), you are required to find an apartment by yourself, with the help of people such as your supervisor, I-House advisor and Japanese students. There are few realtors near KUT who speak English, so it is advisable to seek a help of a Japanese speaking person in your search for an apartment. KUT recommends that you bring your family from your home country only after you have gotten accustomed to life in Japan (in most cases approximately after six months).

Commercial website for finding apartments for foreigners

Procedure for moving out of I-House

  1. Find a place to live and make the rental arrangements.
  2. Submit a notice of leaving I-House to IRD staff at least one month before your day of leaving.
  3. Inform IRD staff of your new address as soon as it's decided.
  4. Take out Comprehensive Renter's Insurance under the guidance of IRD staff, in principle. You should complete the insurance subscription procedure promptly, so that you will have insurance when you start living off-campus.
    Note: If there is a particular type of insurance required by your realtor, please consult about it with IRD staff before you subscribe to it. The staff member will determine whether two insurance policies are necessary.
  5. Complete the change of address procedure at city hall within two weeks of moving and bring your residence card with your new address entered to IRD staff.
  6. Submit a change of address notice at a post office so that your mail will be forwarded to your new address officially recorded on it. This service lasts only for one year, so please make sure to change your address for all communications about necessary matters such as your credit card within one year.

    The details regarding changing your address at a post office can be found at:

Approximate costs related to renting an apartment

Average monthly rent of an apartment around the Kami Campus

1LDK (one bedroom, one living/dining kitchen): around \45,000
2DK (two bedrooms, one dining kitchen): around \ 50,000
2LDK (two bedrooms, one living/dining kitchen): around \60,000


  • You need to pay deposits totaling three months rent, some non-refundable, in addition to your monthly rent and fire insurance (approximately \25,000) at the time of signing your rental contract.
  • In general, rooms are not furnished, so you will need to purchase your own furniture and appliances.