A. Health insurance for students staying 3 months or more
KUT requires all students who stay at KUT more than three months to join: Japan National Health Insurance; Student Insurance 1 (PAS:Personal Accident Insurance for Students Pursuing Education and Research); and Student Insurance 2 (Students Comprehensive Insurance) after their arrival at KUT.
Student Insurance 1 (PAS:Personal Accident Insurance for Students Pursuing Education and Research)（学生教育研究災害傷害保険）
All KUT students must purchase Student Insurance 1, which covers medical expenses in the case of injury while doing research at KUT or commuting to and from KUT. The insurance fee differs depending on the period of study. Please read here about how to file a claim with the insurance company.
Student Insurance 2 (Comprehensive Insurance for Student Lives Completed with PAS for International Students, a policy supplement to Student Insurance 1) （留学生向け学研災付帯学生生活総合保険）
All KUT international students with "student" resident status in Japan and who have joined both the National Health Insurance and Student Insurance 1 must purchase Student Insurance 2. The fee for Student Insurance 2 varies depending on your period of study.
If you are hospitalized or visit a hospital in Japan for treatment, your personal share of costs (30%) under National Health Insurance will be covered by this insurance. Please read here about how to file a claim with the insurance company.
B. Health insurance for students staying less than 3 months
Students staying at KUT less than 3 months are requested to purchase health and accident insurance prior coming to Japan. That insurance should cover the whole period of the student's stay at KUT. Students must send the insurance certificate (in English) to KUT via email and get confirmation of receipt from KUT staff before coming to Japan.
- Medical coverage of at least 10,000,000 JPY per accident or illness of the student (Mandatory)
- Transport or repatriation to the student's home country in case of illness or injury to the student (coverage must be at least 3,000,000 JPY) (Mandatory)
- Transport or repatriation expenses in the case of death of the student (coverage must be at least 3,000,000 JPY) (Mandatory)
- Travel expenses of a family member to escort the body for repatriation in the case of death (Mandatory)
- Travel expenses of a family member to and from Japan, if the insured student is hospitalized for more than 3 days
- Coverage for civil liability of at least 100,000,000 JPY per accident
*In Japan, there are several cases the person who happened to seriously injure the other person in a cycling accident was ordered by the court to pay almost 0.1 billion yen for compensation.
- Search and Rescue coverage of at least 3,000,000 JPY if the plane or ship on which the insured students are travelling is wrecked or goes missing, or if the insured students become involved in an accident or similar incident, and their survival can not be confirmed. (Recommended if available)