Short-term Exchange Program

Application Guidelines for exchange program at KUT

Note:List of partner universities

Exchange programme

Exchange students stay at KUT under the following categories.

1. Special Research Student:

Students who only conduct research at KUT. We recommend that students in third year undergraduate or higher (including graduate students) apply for this category of exchange program.

Medium of instruction: English
Note: Japanese is necessary for daily communication.

2. Special Non-degree Lecture Student:

Students who take courses to obtain credits at KUT. We offer some undergraduate courses in English in the fields of Management and Economics, but all other courses are given in Japanese. Students wishing to take courses in Japanese should have level N2 Japanese language proficiency. Credits are given after the requirements are fulfilled.

3. Special Research Student / Special Non-degree Lecture Student:

Students who want to conduct research and also take courses may apply for both categories.

Areas of Study / Fields of Research

School of Systems Engineering (@ Kami main campus)

  • Intelligent Mechanical Engineering
  • Aerospace Engineering
  • Energy Engineering
  • Electoronic and Photonic Engineering
  • Architecture and Infrastructure Systems

School of Environmental Science and Engineering (@Kami main campus)

  • Environmental and Mathematical Sciences
  • Chemistry
  • Life Science and Technology
  • Materials Science and Engineering

School of Information (@Kami main campus)

  • Human Related Information Technologies
  • Information and Media Technologies
  • Communications and Computing Technologies
  • Computer Science

School of Economics & Management (@Eikokuji downtown campus)

Note: Courses for 1st grade students are given in Kami main campus.

  • Human Behavioral Sciences
  • Economic and Social Design Sciences
  • Mathematical Studies in Management and Economics
  • Regional and Public System Sciencess
  • Business Management and Entrepreneur Sciences
  • International Studies in Management and Economics
  • Sports Studies in Management and Economics

Courses offered in English

KUT_Courses available for English-medium students_202204
Note: Subject to change.

Courses offered in Japanse

Please contact us for the details.

Japanese languages classes

The following four non-credit Japanese classes are given each semester. Some Japanese courses are offered only at Kami main campus.

  • Japanese 1 (Beginning) 4 classes/week
  • Japanese 2 (Beginning) 3 classes /week
  • Japanese 3 (Beginning to Intermediate) 1 class/week
  • Kanji Class (Intermediate) 1 class/week

English language classes

There are numerous English language classes for bachelors students and some for masters students.

Note: Classes for masters students are offered at Kami main campus.

Credit system and grading system at KUT

Typically, students receive 2 credits for taking a 90 minute class twice a week, i.e. a total of 15 classes plus an exam in an 8 week quarter. Semester based courses are given once a week for a semester, for a total of 15 classes, also for 2 credits.

Note: Special Research Students are not given any credits for conducting research at KUT. However, we issue a "Research Completion Certificate" upon receiving a "Research Completion Report" from the student.

Grading system

Grade Evaluation GP
AA Outstanding 4
A Excellent 3
B Good 2
C Pass 1
F Fail 0

Academic calender


Application procedure

After you have been nominated by your home university, please send us the following by email. The documents should reach us by the deadline mentioned below

Note: Special Non-degree Lecture Students can complete steps 1 and 2 at the same time after being nominated by their home universities

For Special Research Students: after receiving a student's documents, as listed in Step 1, we will inquire to faculty members to try to find a professor who will accept the student in his/her laboratory. Once we find a laboratory suitable for the student's interest, we will inform the student and request that he/she prepare the application documents for Step 2.

Step 1

Documents to be sent:

a) CV
b) Academic transcript (bachelors and masters)
c) Document(s) specifying research field and outlining the intended research plan (necessary only for those applying for Special Research Student category

Step 2

Documents to be sent:

a) Application form (form 10 for Special Research Student, form 3 for Special Non-degree Lecture Student)*
b) Current Enrollment Certificate
c) Recommendation letter from the applicant's supervisor
d) Recommendation letter from the president/head of the school, faculty or department head / director of international relations center or similar, stating specifically that the university recommends the student for the exchange program.
e) Health Certificate*

*KUT will send the form for (a) and (e) above upon request.

Application deadlines for Step 1

<Special Non-degree Lecture Student>

Deadline for spring enrollment (starting in April): end of November
Deadline for fall enrollment (starting in October): end of May

<Special Research Student>

No later than 6 month prior to the date of starting research at KUT
Note: You can apply for this category on a monthly basis. The minimum research period is 1 month, to a maximum of 1 year. The research period should start on the first day of the month.



Kami Campus

Eikokuji Campus


Kami Campus

If you are going to study at Kami campus, you can stay at International House, the on-campus dormitory, if there is a vacancy.
If there is no vacancy, you will have to rent an apartment somewhere near the campus.
International Relations Division gives students assistance in finding such accommodation.

International House

Renting a Room Individually

Eikokuji Campus

For those who will study at Eikokuji campus, accommodation information is available below.

Takasone Dormitory C

Renting a Room Individually

Health insurance


Security Export Control

Kochi University of Technology(KUT)has established the Kochi University of Technology Security Export Control Regulations in accordance with the Foreign Exchange and Foreign Trade Act for the purpose of contributing to the maintenance of international peace and security while giving due consideration to the sound development of academic research. KUT is implementing the appropriate security export control measures with regard to the provision of technology, export of goods, and admission of foreign nationals (international students, researchers, etc.). Should any of these regulations apply to you, there may be restrictions imposed on your desired research activities, or you may be unable to receive education at KUT. Therefore, please check with your prospective academic advisor before submitting your application. In addition, international students (all Degree-seeking Students and Visiting Students) who will be conducting educational and research activities at the university shall be required to sign a pledge at the time of admission.