- CSC-KUT Scholarship Program (Doctoral Program)
- CSC-KUT Scholarship Program Application Guidelines (Full-time PhD Students)
CSC-KUT Scholarship Program Application Guidelines (Full-time PhD Students)
- * The CSC-KUT Scholarship Program (Full-time PhD Student) is only for Chinese doctoral candidates who meet the entry criteria set by Chinese scholarship Coundil (CSC) and who will engage in project-based studies. The project list can be viewed here)
* Before submitting a formal application, persons intending to apply must send a completed Online Pre-Application Request to their preferred supervisor (project leader) at KUT via KUT's Online Pre-Application Request Form. Only individuals who have obtained the permission of their preferred supervisor are eligible to formally apply to the CSC-KUT Scholarship Program (Full-time PhD Student).
* If an applicant fails to be granted a CSC scholarship, his/her student state will be revoked.
* KUT has its own Special Scholarship Program (SSP). If you wish to apply concurrently for SSP and the CSC-KUT Scholarship Program (Full-time PhD Student), please declare as such in your Online Pre-Application Request and your application documents will also be considered in the screening for SSP admission. If you chose to apply for the two program concurrently, you will be contacted regarding the SSP examinamtion process in April/May. Please click here to learn about KUT's SSP program. If you are successfully selected as a CSC-KUT Scholarship recipient, your application for SSP will be automatically withdrawn.
* To complete the scholarship program and acquire a doctoral degree, candidates must have published two or more reviewed papers in high-level journals at least two months before the completion of the three-year program.
* There is no brochures for the CSC-KUT Scholarship Program. You can find all necessary information and download application form on this website.
Last updated: November 10, 2022
Application Guidelines for CSC-KUT Scholarship Program (Full-time PhD Student)
1. PROGRAM OF STUDY
Doctoral Program (three years)
Department of Engineering, Graduate School of Engineering
2. DEGREE TO BE CONFERRED
Doctor of Engineering or Doctor of Philosophy
3. MEDIUM OF STUDY
4. NUMBER OF STUDENTS TO BE ADMITTED
Up to 10 scholarships per year
5. ENROLLMENT DATES
October 2023 and April 2024
6. TERM OF KUT SCHOLARSHIP
*The term may be extended up to a total of four years, unless KUT or CSC terminates the student status for any of the reasons listed in section 11, Termination of Student Status, below.
At the end of each semester, the student must report his/her study and research achievements to the dean of the Graduate School of Engineering, who will evaluate the report.
8. COMPLETION REQUIREMENTS
1. 3 years' enrollment in a doctoral program at KUT
2. 10 or more doctoral course credits earned
3. Successful completion of the doctoral dissertation defense after receiving a preliminary assessment more than one year in advance of the defense.
4. Two or more papers published in high-level peer-reviewed journals at least two months before completion of the program
Note: Item 4. is the basic requirement for conducting a dissertation defense.
9. CURRICULUM AND STANDARDS FOR COMPLETION
|year||Semester||Research work||Course work ( )... Number of credits|
|Seminars||English writing courses||Courses to acquire|
||Advanced seminar I (2)||Technical writing II (2)||Interdisciplinary
engineering A (2)
||Advanced seminar II (2)||
Research writing (2)
Research writing for Management (2)
engineering B (2)
engineering C (2)
engineering D (2)
Submit research project work plan
At least 6 credits
10. BENEFITS PROVIDED BY KUT
- Exemption from the 30,000 yen entrance examination fee, the 300,000 yen enrollment fee, and 535,800 yen/year in tuition fees
- A scholarship of 50,000 yen/month as support for living expenses
- 150,000 yen for travel expenses and initial living costs
For the details of your scholarship payments from CSC, please inquire to CSC.
11. TERMINATION OF CSC-KUT Scholarship Program STUDENT STATUS
CSC-KUT Scholarship Program student status will be revoked in the following cases:
- In the case where a student's report, submitted in accordance with section 7. OBLIGATIONS, is assessed as being below the standard for KUT students
- In the case of behavior which is deemed inappropriate for a KUT student
12. POLICY ON ADMISSIONS, CURRICULUM AND DIPLOMAS
- Applicants must have the permission of his/her preferred supervisor at KUT. Please see 13.2 APPLICATION PROCESS 2 for the details.
- Applicants must hold a degree from an accredited institution in China comparable to the master's degree offered at KUT, obtained after 18 or more years of education, or be scheduled to acquire such a degree before the KUT enrollment date.
- Applicants must have an excellent academic record and a strong bachelor's degree from a reputable university, either in China or another country; must have an excellent academic record; and must have or be expected to receive a strong master's degree from a reputable university in China.
- Applicants must meet the entry criteria set by the Chinese Scholarship Council（CSC); and must have the intention to apply for 与日本高知工科大学合作奖学金 (CSC-KUT Scholarship Program (Full-time PhD Student)).
- Applicants must have high English proficiency.
13.2 APPLICATION PROCESS
- Choose one research project from the CSC-KUT Research Project List
- Send a completed Online Pre-Application Request to your preferred supervisor via the KUT Online Pre-Application Request Form.The application period is from November 1, 2022 to January 31, 2023. Only one pre-application request may be sent during a given application period. We strongly recommend you to apply at your earliest convenience.
- You will be contacted by your preferred supervisor to arrange an interview and documentary screening. Please send an electronic file containing all the required application documents (in PDF format) to your preferred supervisor when you are requested to do so. (Note: we strongly recommend that you prepare all the necessary application documents before you submit your Pre-Application Request, so that you will be able to send the documents promptly when asked to do so.)
*Your preferred KUT professor may not contact you if your pre-application request is rejected.
*Your interview will be conducted via video conferencing software such as Webex.
- When you have obtained the permission of your preferred supervisor, submit all the required documents (originals) to KUT by post. The documents must reach KUT by the deadline, February 15, 2023.
13.3 ADMISSION DECISION
Only applicants who have obtained the permission of their preferred supervisors are eligible to submit an application and documentation to KUT. Applicants will be notified individually of the admission decision in the end of February.
Note 1: KUT will place the names of successful applicants name on a shortlist to be sent to CSC.
Note 2: An applicant must complete the CSC application process designated by CSC.
Note 3: If an applicant fails to be granted a CSC scholarship, his/her students status will be revoked.
13.4 ADMISSION SCHEDULE
|Online Pre-Application Request Period||
|Formal Application Deadline||Notification of Admission Decision||Registration Deadline|
|November 1, 2022 - January 31, 2023||
November 1, 2022 -February 8, 2023
(Interview and documentary screening, if necessary)
February 15, 2023
(Originals of ALL application documents must arrive at KUT by the above date.)
|Beginning of March, 2023
(to be notified individually)
|July 7, 2023|
*Note 1: You must send an Online Pre-application Request by January 31, 2023.
*Note 2: During the screening period, you will be contacted to arrange an interview or asked to submit to your preferred supervisor an electronic file (PDF) containing all the required application documents.
*Note 3: All the required documents must arrive at KUT by the deadline, i.e. February 15, 2023.
14. SPECIAL NOTICE
- If you are still working towards your master's degree, you must submit a verified original of your master's degree certificate in English or Japanese from your university before your enrollment. If you are not able to produce such a document, you will not be enrolled.
- If your application to KUT and CSC is successful, KUT will assist you in finding appropriate single accommodation.
At Kami campus, you can live in the International House if there is a vacancy.
If you wish to bring your family members and live with them in Japan, or if you wish to change your accommodation, you must initiate your own apartment rental - and in any case, you will have to bear your own costs.
・International House (Kami Campus)
・Renting a room individually (Kami Campus)
- To complete the doctoral program as a CSC-KUT Scholarship Student, you must need to meet all of the following conditions.
a: 3 year's enrollment in a doctoral program at KUT
b: 10 or more doctoral course credits earned
c: Successful completion of the doctoral dissertation defense after receiving a preliminary assessment held more than one year in advance
d: Publication of two or more papers in high-level peer-reviewed journals at least two months before completion of the program
Note: Item (d) is the basic requirement for conduct of a dissertation defense.
- Students enrolled in this program can obtain a Doctor of Engineering or a Doctor of Philosophy degree, depending on the research field.
- Newly admitted foreign doctoral students will be charged an insurance premium of about 33,000 yen (amount subject to change).
- Alumni association membership dues of 10,000 yen will be charged (amount subject to change).
- The abstract of your doctoral dissertation and the results of your dissertation defense will be published on the Internet within 3 months after the conferment of your doctoral degree, and the full text of your dissertation will be published on the Internet within 1 year after the conferment of your doctoral degree. In the case where it appears to be inappropriate to publish a doctoral dissertation on the Internet due to a patent application related to the research, or for some other valid reasons, KUT may suspend the publication of the full text of the dissertation, and publish only the abstract of the dissertation on the Internet. Even in such cases, if publication of the full text of a dissertation is requested, and Kochi University of Technology agrees that publication is necessary, the full text of that doctoral dissertation may be disclosed.
- Please note that KUT takes trust, truthfulness and academic integrity very seriously and we therefore expect applications to contain only true and complete information about the applicant. Applicants should be aware that KUT will take stern, corrective measures such as payment of exempted tuition fees, or even expulsion from the university, against any student found to have applied with false, incomplete, or missing information, including omission or fabrication of information regarding personal educational background.
- In the event that KUT alters the system of the CSC-KUT Scholarship Program, the terms and conditions will be revised accordingly.
15. OFFICIAL CORRESPONDENCE
All inquiries and application documents must be addressed to:
International Relations Section
Kochi University of Technology
Tosayamada, Kami City
Kochi 782-8502, JAPAN
16. Security Export Control
Kochi University of Technology（KUT）has established the Kochi University of Technology Security Export Control Regulations in accordance with the Foreign Exchange and Foreign Trade Act for the purpose of contributing to the maintenance of international peace and security while giving due consideration to the sound development of academic research. KUT is implementing the appropriate security export control measures with regard to the provision of technology, export of goods, and admission of foreign nationals (international students, researchers, etc.). Should any of these regulations apply to you, there may be restrictions imposed on your desired research activities, or you may be unable to receive education at KUT. Therefore, please check with your prospective academic advisor before submitting your application. In addition, international students (all Degree-seeking Students and Visiting Students) who will be conducting educational and research activities at the university shall be required to sign a pledge at the time of admission.