- Special Scholarship Program(Doctral Program, SSP)(~April2019)
- SSP Application Guidelines for Prospective Students Enrolling in April 2019
SSP Application Guidelines for Prospective Students Enrolling in April 2019
- * Special Scholarship Program (SSP) is only for doctoral candidates and project-based. (Project list is here)
* We do NOT accept any application by e-mail.
* Contact with the professors should be restricted to the inquiries about the projects.
For further inquiries, please contact International Relations Section. (Please find the contact information below)
* To complete the scholarship program and acquire a doctoral degree, publication of 2 or more high level reviewed papers is required by at least two months before the completion of 3 years program.
* We do not have any brochures for SSP. You can find all necessary information and download application form from this web site.
Last updated: May 14, 2018
Application Guidelines for Special Scholarship Program (SSP)
1. PROGRAM OF STUDY
Doctoral Program (3 years)
Department of Engineering, Graduate School of Engineering
2. MEDIUM OF STUDY
3. NUMBER OF STUDENTS TO BE ADMITTED
No more than 3 SSP students can be enrolled concurrently for each project leader. See the SSP project list for details of which projects currently have places available for SSP students.
4. ENROLLMENT TIME
5. SCHOLARSHIP TERM
*The term will be extended for increments of one year up to a total of three years, unless the university terminates the SSP student status for any of the reasons stated in paragraph 13 below, Termination of SSP Student Status.
- The SSP student must work 50 hours per month for a specific research project at the university.
- The SSP student must report his/her study and research achievements to the dean of the Graduate School of Engineering at the end of each semester. The submitted report will be evaluated by the dean of the Graduate School of Engineering.
- Exemption from 30,000 yen entrance examination fee, 300,000 yen enrollment fee and 535,800 yen/year tuition fee
- To support living expenses, 150,000 yen/month is paid as salary for research project work.
*You must pay some amount of taxes from this salary.
- 150,000 yen is provided for travel and initial living costs. (given only to international applicants who are living outside Japan, and who have, or have the intention to acquire, "Student" status of Japanese residence at the time of entry into Japan)
Applicants are required to meet all of the following conditions
- To hold a degree from an accredited institution comparable to the master's degree offered at KUT after 18 years of education, or to be scheduled to acquire such a degree before the KUT enrollment date
- To be 35 years old or under at the time of enrollment
- To have an excellent academic record and strong bachelor's and master's degrees from reputable universities
- To have the intention, adequate knowledge and research skill to work in one of the designated research projects
- To have high English proficiency
9. APPLICATION PROCESS
- Choose one or two research project(s) from the SSP Research Project List
- Complete and submit all required documents by post
10. ADMISSION DECISION
The submitted documents will be carefully examined in the course of the first screening. Only applicants who are successful in that screening will then be examined in such forms as an interview, an English written exam, an academic achievement written exam in the specialized field required for the conduct of the selected research project, etc. The interview and other formalities will be held at a place that will be appointed separately (The examination for the foreign applicants will be conducted hopefully in their country. However, the examination for the applicants residing in Japan will be conducted at Kochi University of Technology (KUT)).
11. ADMISSION SCHEDULE
April 2019 Enrollment: (The Second Deadline)
|Application Deadline||Notification of Primary Screening Result||Secondary Screening||Notification of Admission Decision||Registration Period/Deadline|
|*September 14, 2018||End of November, 2018
(To be notified individually)
|To be scheduled individually after due consultation||Mid of January, 2019
(To be notified individually)
|*January 31, 2019|
*note : All the required documents must arrive at KUT by each deadline.
12. SPECIAL NOTICE
- If you are still working towards your master's degree, a verified original master's degree certificate in English /Japanese from your university will be required before your enrollment can be completed. If you are not able to produce such a document, you will not be enrolled.
- Students who join the projects in Economics and Management will conduct their research at Eikokuji campus which is located in down town Kochi City, 25 km from the main campus (Kami campus), and those students are also required to take classes once or twice a week at main campus. The most common means of transportation between Eikokuji campus and Kami campus are bus or JR train, and it takes around one hour.
- If your application to KUT is successful and your resident status in Japan is "Student", KUT will assist you in finding appropriate single accommodation.
At Kami campus, you can live in the International House if there is vacancy.
At Eikokuji campus, International students can receive assistance in finding accommodation from the Education Affairs Section.
If you wish to bring your family members and live with them in Japan, or if you wish to change your accommodation, you must initiate your own apartment rental.
In any case, you need to bear your own costs.
・International House (Kami Campus)
・Corporate-contract apartments (Eikokuji Campus)
・Renting a room individually (Kami Campus)
・Renting a room individually (Eikokuji Campus)
- To complete the doctoral program as a SSP Student, you need to meet all of the following conditions.
a: 3 year's enrollment in a doctoral program at KUT
b: 10 or more doctoral course credits earned
c: Successful completion of the doctoral dissertation defense after receiving a preliminary assessment held more than one year in advance
d: Two or more papers in high level peer-reviewed journals, published at least two months before completion of the program; this is the basic requirement for holding a dissertation defense.
- Students enrolled in this program can obtain Doctor of Engineering or Doctor of Philosophy depending on the research field.
- Newly admitted foreign doctoral students will be charged about 33,000 yen as insurance premium. The students who do not have "Student" status of Japanese residence will be charged 3,000 yen as insurance premium (The price is subject to change).
- 3,000 yen will be charged as dues for alumni association membership (The price is subject to change). The students who do not have "Student" status of Japanese residence will be charged 20,000 yen for alumni association membership.
- In any case where a SSP student is selected as a recipient of another institution's scholarship, his/her monthly pay as described in "7. Benefits" 2. will be adjusted according to KUT's rule.
- The abstract of your doctoral dissertation and the results of your dissertation defense will be published on the web within 3 months after the conferment of your doctoral degree, and the full text of your dissertation will be published on the web within 1 year after the conferment of your doctoral degree.In cases where it seems inappropriate to publish a doctoral dissertation on the web due to a patent application related to the research, or some other special reasons, Kochi University of Technology may suspend the publication of the full text of a dissertation, and publish only its abstract on the web. Even in such cases, if publication of the full text of a dissertation is requested, and Kochi University of Technology agrees to the necessity, the full text of your doctoral dissertation may be disclosed.
- Please note that KUT takes trust, truthfulness and academic integrity very seriously and we therefore expect applications to contain only true and complete information about the applicant. Applicants should be aware that KUT will take stern, corrective measures such as payment of exempted tuition fees, or even expulsion from the university, against any student found to have applied with false, incomplete, or missing information, including omission of information regarding educational background.
- In the event that Kochi University of Technology alters the system of SSP, the terms and conditions will be revised accordingly.
13. TERMINATION OF SSP STUDENT STATUS
SSP student status will be terminated in the following cases
- In the case where a student's report, submitted in accordance with term "6. Obligations" 2., is assessed as being below the standard for SSP students.
- In the case of behavior which is deemed inappropriate for a SSP student.
14. ADMISSION /CURRICULUM /DIPLOMA POLICIES
15. OFFICIAL CORRESPONDENCE
All inquiries and application documents must be addressed to:
International Relations Section
Kochi University of Technology
Tosayamada, Kami City
Kochi 782-8502, JAPAN